- Cultivation: Low-Maintenance, Easy-To-Grow
- Light: Sun, Dappled, Part-Shade
- Soil: Rich, Mid-Fertility, Poor, Loam
- pH: 7
- Moisture: Medium, Well-Drained
- Form: Tree
- Habit: Deciduous
- Flower: Small
- Fruit/Seed: Medium, Fruit.Nut, Green
- Foliage: Leaves, Green, Yellow
- Uses: Edible, Medicinal, Ornamental, Craft, Industrial
Ginkgo Biloba is one of the oldest plants that have been used on herbal and natural medicine. However, this plant was known to grow only in parts of Asia and therefore was used in China in Traditional Chinese Medicine and Chinese cooking.
Thankfully Ginkgo Biloba benefits are now being made common across the world and the advantages that consumption can provide are being noticed by the world. However, a large number of Ginkgo Biloba benefits still remain unknown and undiscovered. Here are some of the benefits of Ginkgo Biloba that you should know about.
- Taken orally Gingko Biloba is known to have properties that can help in improvement in symptoms of clogged arteries like painful legs. Also known as claudication this condition has been studied in the laboratories in the context of Gingko Biloba. It has been found that consuming 120mg of the herb in a day (spread over 2 to 3 doses) for about 6 months can cause significant improvement in the condition. This is in conjunction with regular exercise and daily walking; something that is good for all.
- The herb can help those who have been diagnosed with multi-infarct dementia or preliminary Alzheimer’s disease. Consumption of Gingko everyday helps in fighting signs like depression, performance anxiety, poor concentration, confusion, dizziness, headaches, absent-mindedness and more. This is because one of the main reasons for reduced cerebral capacity has been reduced blood flow to the brain. And by helping the arteries dilate and expand, the herb helps better blood flow to the brain.
- While the above are serious issues that Gingko Biloba can help with, it can also be a great aid in managing mountain sickness. Some research has shown that it can help in managing mountain sickness as effectively as prescription medicines.
- Regular issues like Pre Menstrual Syndrome (PMS), Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and Depression have also been known to reduce with regular consumption of Gingko Biloba.
- Gingko Biloba benefits also include some eye related issues like macular degeneration, retinopathy and glaucoma. Since these ailments relate to the pressure in the vessels in the ye, they have been known to reduce in intensity with regular consumption of the herb.
- Reynaud’s disease is a condition where the level of blood to the toes and fingers is reduced. With the expanded blood vessels and microcirculation, the herb helps in providing adequate blood supply to the extremities and therefore is great for this condition as well.
- Some reports suggest that Gingko Biloba helps in managing vertigo; something that many need to fight given the high rise buildings that we all use these days.
Gingko Biloba benefits transcend the above mentioned specifics and can help in much more. While the Americans and Europeans have started to understand the greatness of this plant, there is still a lot more to be discovered. In addition to that there will always be the question of provable lab results versus empirical information that has been garnered over the years.