Your own herbal garden comes with many benefits and best of all, it is quite easy to setup and maintain. Growing your own herbs is an excellent way to ensure you will be getting the full flavor for your herbs. By growing your own herbs organically, you can be sure the herbs you are using are fresh and chemical free. Fresh organically grown herbs will maximize the flavoring to your favorite meals at home.
Some tips to further help you with your herbal organic gardening:
1. Inside or out: If you want to grow your herb garden outside, you will be limited by the seasons. If you'd prefer to have no limitations, you are better off growing in a container garden indoors.
2. Select the right location for your herbs: They should be near or at a windowsill facing west or south. Ensure that whichever windowsill you decide to place the pot with the herbs is able to receive at least seven hours of light on a daily basis.
3. Choose the right pot: Choosing the right pot is important. Use one made from material such as clay. Clay is porous in nature which will enable the soil to receive more oxygen allowing your herbs to survive and grow strong.
4. Mix your soil: Herbs thrive in a type of soil that is low in nutrients Potting soil is quite nutrient rich and you may want to mix this with equal parts sand. Try adding a tablespoon of lime to add some sweetness to the soil.
5. Use pebbles as a base: Place a layer of pebbles in the pot before adding the soil. The pebbles will allow your plants to receive more oxygen and also works as to protect the roots from over watering.
6. Don't pack the soil: Avoid the urge to pack the soil too tightly. You want the soil loose to encourage the growth of a good root, tightly packed soil decreases oxygen absorption.
7. Plant the seed well: Make sure that the seed is planted approximately 1/2 '' in the soil.
8. Provide your plants with some air: Use an oscillating fan with the low setting. Too much wind can be damaging to your plants. Try to provide your plant with about one hour of 'wind' on a daily basis.
9. Patience: It should take about 6 weeks to reach maturity,It takes longer than a trip to the store, but will be worth the wait!